Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Harvard: Secrets to Happiness

The most popular course at Harvard is Psychology 1504: Positve Psychology. Tal Ben-Shahar teaches in this course to ask the right questions: "What is most meaningful to me? What provides me the most pleasure? and What am I good at?"

He advises to simplify. Following this, Professor Ben-Shahar has taken himself off the tenure track because he does not like publishing but likes to teach.

From NPR's All Things Considered, March 22nd, 2006. Link including 6 tips from Ben Shahar.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. Ben Ranz said...

I think this is pretty thought provoking. Many of us often say all we want is to be happy...but where does it stop? Are we ever happy enough? What's the difference between being happy and being content? Won't we always be asking ourselves "how could I be happier?"

Do things "happen" to us that help us achieve happiness? I am of the mindset that you need to get out there and make your way, make things happen. I recently had a conversation with a friend after which I thought about whether or not expecting to be happy is enough. I'm very much a half-is-glass-full-focus-on-the-positive kind of guy and I with that mindset, it's impossible not to be happy. I'll always find the good in a situation. But will it be good enough?

The point is, I think I need to start making a standard. There's got to be something by which I can measure my happiness. Up until this point, I've thought only about the next step. The one that comes right after. And it's worked for me so far with mild success. But I've realized that I need to be thinking a few steps down the road. I don't mean make decisions, but just keep in mind that what I do today affects where I am and who I become tomorrow.

I have to grow up a bit. Dammit.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home